Saturday, November 8, 2008
Andrew Jackson Clepper 1815-1891
Andy was born on 15 Jan 1815 in Hawkins County, Tennessee but we are not if his father was Samuel Klepper or Frederick Klepper. According to Lucille's book, "In the 1830 census of Hawkins Co., Tn. Frederick shows a son the correct age to be Andrew. Andrew is in the 1840 census of Hawkins Co., Tn. and listed in his household, 1 male 20/30; 1 male 15/20; 2 females 20/30 and 1 female 10/15; died 26 Mch. 1891 Collin Co., Tx.; buried" Plano Mutual Cemetery
"Andrew moved to Mo. ca 1841 and he is in 1850 census of Greene Co., Mo., Taylor Tws. with a wife Nancy 34 born in Tn.; Joseph C. 8 born in Tn.; Sarah 4 born in Mo.; John 1 born in Mo.; Mary P. 6 born in Mo.; Minerva P. 20 born in Tn. and Stephen Galbreath (sic) 19 born in Tn.
Andrew must have left his family in Mo. and moved to Collin Co., Tx. by 1870 to be near Joseph (James) Klepper (14). He is listed in the 1870 census of Collin County, Tx. in the household of Geo. Mason, occupation blacksmith, age 54, born in Tn.; Nancy J. came to Texas ca 1876 with her son Joseph C. and his family and she is living in his household in 1880. (it would seem that she and Andrew J. were divorced). Nancy is buried" Plano Mutual Cemetery "(death date was not recorded in the "Collin County, Tx. Cemeteries Inscriptions Vol. 1)".
Andrew J. is in the 1880 Collin Co., Tx. census with wife Etta 27, born in Ga. and daughter Mary Etta 7/12, born Tx
1/mar. Nancy J. Bench, born 13 Jan. 1817 Tn/Va.? (1850 census shows born Tn., 1860 census born Va.); died 22 March 1906. Nancy and four children, Sarah 13, John 10, Martha 6 and Daniel 4 are in the 1860 Greene Co., Mo. census. Andrew J. and his son Joseph C. are not found in 1860 Greene Co., Mo.
2/mar. ca 1879 to Etta Ann Kindly, (per cemetery records). Listed as Etta in 1880 Census; born 11 Feb. 1853 in Ga.; father born in Va.; mother born in Ga. Died 20 Oct. 1920; buried in the" Plano Mutual Cemetery. "In 1900 Collin Co., Tx. I find Eliz. E. Klepper born Feb. 1854 Tx.; Robert A., son born Mch. 1882 Tx.; Sallie Ingrum, mother, born Jan 1827 in NC.; and P. A. Ingrum, brother, born May 1862 in Ga. (Is this Etta wife of A.J.??)"
Andrew is listed in the 1780 census of Collin County, Texas as a 54 year old blacksmith and is noted as not being able to read or write. Voting records later show his learning to write his name (signature on voting records).
Andrew Klepper’s blacksmith shop (Wagon Yard) was located on the east side of South Main Street. It was across the street from the Holloway & Davis livery Stable which was on the west side of the city hall.
Andy died on 26 Mar 1891.
1. Joseph C. Klepper b. May 1842 Tn.
2. Mary G. Klepper b. 1844 Mo.
3. Sarah Klepper b. 1846 Mo.
4. John Bench Klepper, born Oct 1849 in Mo.
5. Martha Klepper b. 1854 Mo.
6. Daniel L. Klepper b. Apr. 1856 MO; See 1900 & 1910 Dallas Co., TX censuses. 1/mar. Ara/Ora ?; born May 1873 Ms. 2/mar. Fannie ?; born 1882 Tx.
1. Roy Klepper b. Jan. 1895.
2. Clara Klepper b. 1900 Tx.
7. Mary Etta Klepper b. 1880 TX.; DY.
8. Robert A. Klepper b. Mch. 1882.
• Lucille Mehrkam, History and Genealogy of the Family of Jacob Klepper/Clepper Family and Malcolm McAlpine Family (The Gregath Company, 1996), Library of Congress under card number 86-62751. (Page 9)
• Copy of his signature is from Records of Reconstruction Days in Collin County, Texas (pg56?) by Rida Bickley Roose and Jeanette Bickley Bland. A copy can be found at the Gladys Harrington Public Library in Plano, Collin County, Texas.
• The Plano Historical Committee, Plano Texas, The Early Years, Jan1986, ISBN 0-9651841-0-2 (page 230, 1855 Plano map on page 243)
• 1850 Greene Co., MO & 1880-1910 censuses of Collin Co.
• Soldier's Application for a Pension # 26763.
• Jon P. Czarowitz, Great Great Grandson of John Bench Klepper stated that Andrew went by the name "Andy"