Thursday, October 30, 2008
Charles Duncan Clepper 1840-1923
CHARLES DUNCAN KLEPPER/CLEPPER (John, P.James, Phillip, Jacob Sr.), was born 5 Nov. 1840 Battle Creek Community, Marion Co., Tn.; son of John and Amanda M. (Birdwell) Klepper/Clepper; died Grimes Co., Tx. 1923; buried Fields Store Cemetery, Waller Co., Tx.
He came to Texas with his father ca 1856 at the age of 16. He joined the CW at Montgomery, Tx. on 10 Oct. 1861 (his age listed as 19) in Capt. R. F. Oliver's Co., 5th Regiment Texas Volunteers. He is listed as Sgt. in Co. K 20th Reg't. Texas Infantry on Dec. 1864, on leave for 30 days. His discharge date is not given.
Married 17 Oct. 1866 Montgomery Co., Tx. to Mary Jane Mc Alpine; born 18 Oct. 1844 Marengo Co., Al.; daughter of Archibald Brown and Eliz. Jane (Edwards) Mc Alpine (812); died 29 Apr. 1920 Grimes Co., Tx.; buried Fields Store Cemetery, Waller, Tx.
Charles sold out in Montgomery Co. in 1866 and moved to Washington Co. with his father John and grandfather P.James where he paid taxes in 1868. Mary Jane's father, Archibald B. Mc Alpine died 22 Jan. 1867, and they moved back to Montgomery Co. to be near her mother. He paid taxes in 1868-75 in Montgomery Co., and listed in the 1870 census of Montgomery Co., Tx. His grandfather, P.James Clepper moved to Whitney, Hill Co., Tx. where he died in 1880. His father, John Clepper moved to Coryell Co. 1872-78. His brother Wm. B. Marshall Clepper (500) received a land grant in Milam Preemption (in what is now Coryell Co.) on 7 Mch. 1875 and Charles is listed as chain barrier. It is possible that he lived in Coryell Co. for a short time.
Mary Jane (Mc Alpine) Clepper's great uncle, Dugald Mc Alpine (807) lived at Whitehall, Grimes, Tx. and passed away on 31 May 1876. His estate was settled in 1876/7. According to Grimes Co., Tx. deed records, Book O page 21, Mary Jane received 6/11 of 1/30 or 156 6/10 acres of land and $58.30 in the division of the estate of Dugald Mc Alpine. First being 108 6/10 acres in Caleb Wallace League, lot 17 of Dugal division; second, 47 acres in the J. E. Groce league being SW corner 114/52 of map survey of McAlpine town. Charles and Mary Ann purchased 60 acres in 1881 from A. B. Mc Alpine, Jr. (946), located in the J. H. Kewley Survey, being lot 124/2 of the Dugald division.
Charles D. paid taxes in 1878 in Grimes Co., Tx., and he is in the 1880-1910 censuses of Grimes Co., Tx. They lived in Grimes Co., until ca 1881 when they moved back to the old Arch. Mc Alpine place about 3 miles north of the town of Montgomery to be near town in their old age. Mary Jane became homesick for her children, and they moved back to Grimes Co. where they died.
Children all born Tx.:
1. Archibald Brown Clepper b. 15 Aug. 1867.
2. Charles Duncan Clepper Jr. b. 16 Feb. 1870.
3. Mary Jane Clepper b. 16 Feb. 1870; mar. Charles Gordon Sullivan (1C1R).
4. William Wesley Morris Clepper b. 3 Mch. 1872.
5. James Angus Clepper b. 7 Sept. 1874.
6. Susie Anner Clepper b. 28 Dec. 1876.
7. Alex Smith Mc Alpine Clepper b. 3 Jan. 1879.
8. Dugald Clepper b. 7 Aug. 1881; died 21 Aug. 1882.
9. Grover Cleveland Clepper b. 13 Sept. 1884.
10. John Franklin Clepper b. 12 May 1888.
11. Elizabeth Jane "Betty" Clepper b. 27 Jan. 1891.
* Clepper - Mc Alpine Bible (in possision of Mary Riley, Magnolia, Tx.)
* Arch. B. Clepper Bible (in possision of Mrs. Willie Haygood, Houston, Tx.), copied by Jean Clepper
* Montgomery Co., Tx. Marriage Records
* 1850 Marion Co., Tn.
* 1860-70 Montgomery Co., Tx.
* 1880-1910 Grimes Co., Tx. censuses
* Tax records of Montgomery Co., Tx., Washington Co., Tx. and Grimes Co., TX
* "The Herald, Vol. 6 # 3" - Poll records of Montgomery Co
* Land records of Montgomery, Coryell and Grimes, Co., TX
* Civil War Records
* Cemetery records of Waller Co., TX
* 1884 Texas Gazatteer; Montgomery Co., Tx. History
* Grimes Co. Tx. History.